We are asking you to take actively part in solving this important task, that will be so much easier to solve, if we all get involved, and better sooner than later. There is much to study and think about and people we need to get in touch with and make sure they listen carefully. Please view this page and perhaps also the list of more useful information we provide.
1)The planning application is for an exploratory well but will they frack?
Further applications would be required before any gas/oil is extracted; and yet a further one if hydraulic fracturing of the rock was to be used for extraction. However, it is very important that the local community influence as strongly as possible as "Hydraulic Shale Fracking" is currently government policy and permission is likely to be given and we will not likely be consulted. Fracking by Stealth – it’s starting in Antrim! http://goodenergiesalliance.com/2014/01/28/fracking-by-stealth-its-starting-in-antrim/
Infrastrata is operating in Antrim as well. The Irish have formed a limited company to protect their area: http://goodenergiesalliance.com/
the planning application and material (we have a nearly complete copy) shows hints at fracking and it is generally our impression (from hand written notes in the material) that fracking is kept out intentionally with the purpose to keep protestors away.
- our local paper brings pro fracking stories and try to ridicule us.
- BP has previously made an attempt for conventional exploration in the past and they have made test drillings in the same area. Why would Infrastrata PLC, plan to go for conventional resources and why would they get financial backing if they are not going to frack?
- it's been important in a most peculiar way for the Royal Society of Engineering to hint at that there is fracking at Wytch Farm and has been for decades, and for The Telegraph, Bournemouth Echo and Purbeck Gazette to maintain, and, to our knowledge, not ever retract, the misinformation, so that the majority in the area still believe it and sincerely think fracking is ok. Why this lie?
- Motive: If 'pro frackers' can manage to frack in Swanage, a unique pearl in the UK, and make it appear successful, especially since there is already a great deal of methane bubbling and seeping up naturally, then, they can try and put the entire anti fracking movement to shame.
- We are still investigating whether Infrastrata is still connected with the project they got permission for in Northern Ireland or if they have already passed it on to for example Rathlin energy, who have been on their board of directors and who do intend to frack in many other areas.
- Infrastra will not give us a document which would be legally binding for not only themselves, but any other company they are going to work with, to keep the promise they made in their press release saying they will never frack.
Local councils to be stripped of right to decide on fracking
Ministers are hoping to speed up Britain's shale gas "revolution" by taking away powers from local councils to decide on controversial fracking projects.
2)Exploratory drilling can involve test fracking and this is not safe (from BBC radio debate about fracking in UK)
The oil companies do not 3D map the entire area and identify all fissures through which the toxic and radioactive frack fluids can migrate.
500m is no distance geologically, many layers in the bedrock are brittle, unpredictable and vulnerable.
The well hole will not stay intact forever, when many 100 wells are drilled it's a great problem as the pollution from the leaking wells will migrate across the area. There is no robust regulation body in place.
Experts say you can make fracking safer, but not safe. We have had many examples where the oil companies have been caught lying.
If it's all so good for us, why can't they be honest?
We have not seen any examples of "best practise" in these initial stages.
3) Good questions to ask at this stage:
How many trucks per day will be going through Swanage?
What route will they follow?
What do they weigh, going in and going out?
What will happen to the already very digged and tunnelled hill west of Swanage, if a situation that causes tremors occurs?
How can we control how many gallons of toxic and radioactive chemicals this exploration project pump into the ground at this stage?
Who will monitor and control the project and with what means?
Will the oil rig be visible from Swanage beach?
Will there be gas flares burning from the top of the rig at any time?
What risks of pollution, negative visual impact and damage to buildings and road systems does the project involve at this stage and at later stages that are intended by the natural resource explorers? Why can we not get a legally binding promise that there will never be fracking by any company in Swanage?
4) There is no Hydraulic Shale Fracking taking place at Wytch Farm. They are not fracturing rock, which is "Hydraulic Shale Fracking" and the type of fracking that we are very concerned about . The meaning of the word fracking has been misused and the articles in The Daily Telegraph and Bournemouth Ecco implying that there is Hydralic Shale Fracking at Wytch Farm are not accurate.
You can read more here: http://eprints.port.ac.uk/13312/1/Guide_to_Fracturing_r1.pdf. And you can also read our explanation, Tight gas and Shale gas, compiled with the help of experts and also stating the reasons why we are very concerned.
We do not have a precedence of Hydraulic Shale Fracking in our area, and articles about the precedence from other parts of the world, where this type of fracking takes place, is listed here in point 4).
Finally the BBC mentions chemicals, water contamination, unsubstantiated press releases, and democracy in relation to fracking:
At last BBC politics show sticks it to pro frackers ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuW7hRwxOU&feature=youtu.be
5) Please study our listed material; more useful information UPDATED 13/09/14 about fracking. If you search online, the toolkit from USA advises that you use search words like “hydraulic fracturing” and “unconventional oil and gas development”.
6)We, who are behind this webpage, do not support any form of scare mongering, violent action or other bad behaviour. We do agree with distributing information, peaceful protest and performance to bring attention to the cause.
Trauma and disease -
Sink holes -
Earth quakes -
Polluted water -
Gas flares night and day -
Heavy traffic -
Destruction of natural heritage -
Air pollution - Property cannot be mortgaged or insured - Farm land and animals will be damaged - Very potent methane gas in our atmosphere makes our climate challenge many times worse - Fracking is a banking hoax, it really costs more to frack/pollute than the energy will be worth - Fracking is depending on high energy prices - Investors run off with the profit and leave behind the problems of leaking wells (all wells leak eventually) and vere huge amounts of toxic and radiactive waste water in contained areas and over 50% of the waste water is left in the subterrain to spread into our ground.
Press this link FRACKING - THE EVIDENCE FROM GREEN PEACE
This report is not a standard, static document. We're encouraging readers to view it as a “living document”, which will regularly be updated as new findings are made public. Each new version will be updated numerically; the version launched today is 1.0 (November 2013)
A FILM EXTRACT SHOWING THE REALITIES OF FRACKING:
- 15 min long
PROFESSOR KEVIN ANDERSON
A LONGER FEATURE FILM ABOUT FRACKING IN USA, GASLAND
WHAT CAN YOU IMMEDIATELY DO?
Press this link and search for "California Quarry": READ THE PLANNING APPLICATION
and share it with everyone
Underground drilling corridor of an exploratory borehole to be drilled for oil and gas from California Quarry, Panorama Road, Swanage, Dorset, BH19 2QS
Please read a list of comments to the planning application here.
Search on www.dorsetforyou.com - for committee meetings and planning board. The members of the planning board will appear.
All councillor email contacts are on the Dorset for You website. Their email addresses can be found on the councillors A–Z.
TELL US WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU THINK
Please leave your name, phone number, email and adress and your comment here. Thanks.